A. Are the following nouns countable or uncountable as they are used in these sentences? If the noun in the sentence is countable, answer “C”. If it's uncountable, answer “U.” Write your answers on a piece of paper, and then check your answers after you finish.
I will bake you a cake.
We are having lovely
I have sand in
a day keeps the doctor away.
Beauty is in
the eye of the beholder.
A large crowd
was at the race.
Is there dust
under your bed?
and clean water are necessary for a healthy environment.
Put more pepper
in the soup.
Smoke gets in my eyes.
The city had only
In the following sentences, the nouns are in parentheses. Write the correct form of the noun. Some nouns may
already be in the correct form. Others have to be changed to the possessive form,
or the plural form.
Some nouns may already be in the correct form. Others have to be changed to the possessive form, or the plural form.
1.Was that (Bettina) car I just saw?
2. No, that car is (Jack).
3. I have four (Mary) in my card club.
4. He has been married so many times that he now has five former (mother-in-law).
5. The child care center was full, and all the (baby) crying was making the staff irritable.
6. The shepherd watched over his flock of 14 (sheep).
7. "Eek!" screamed Jack. "I saw a mouse!" Jock said, "I just saw one too." "We must have some (mouse) living in the house."
8. Zoe had to sew some (stitch) in her new jacket to make the button stay in place.
9. Libby showed all of us (photo) of her trip to California.
10. Professor Smarty had two (degree), so he had to write two (thesis).
C. Some of these word combinations are correct; some are not. Write down the numbers of the correct combinations.
D. Write the missing articles (a, an, the) on a piece of paper.
Then, check your answers.
This excerpt is from_____ exciting story about ____adventure that ___man named Rainsford had on a private island. If you are able to find ___copy of ___ book, please read ___entire story.